- 125g butter
- 185ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 220g caster sugar
- 225g self-raising flour
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Line the base and sides of a round cake tin with baking paper.
- Place the butter and milk in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir constantly until the butter is melted.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool to room temperature.
- Alternatively, place the butter and milk in a heatproof jug and microwave on high until the butter is melted. Leave to cool.
- Using electric beaters, beat the eggs and vanilla until thick and foamy.
- Gradually add the sugar, beating after each addition until the sugar has dissolved.
- Stir in half the flour, then half the cooled butter mixture.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Pour into the prepared tine and bake for 45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Remove the paper and place the cake on a board.
Clik here for the Vanilla Buttercream recipe.