2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 Tablespoons unsweetened, cocoa powder
2 cups sugar (or slightly less if preferred)
1/2 cup vegetable oil and ½ cup butter mixed
1 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon red food coloring (or more for deeper colour)
1 teaspoon of white distilled vinegar
½ cup of prepared plain hot coffee (don’t skip this ingredient)
- Preheat oven to 325 (175 degrees celsius)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the sugar and butter and vegetable oil and vanilla.
- Mix in the eggs then beat.
- Mix buttermilk and red food coloring until combined.
- Stir in the coffee.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients a little at time, mixing after each addition, just until combined.
- Finally add in baking soda and vinegar mixed together.
- Put batter into cupcake cases. Fill three quarters full. Should make 24.
- Bake in the middle rack for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Do not over bake as cupcakes will continue to cook as they cool.
- Once cooked let the cupcakes cool in tin for 3-4 minutes then cool on racks.
- Frost the cupcakes with cream cheese frosting when they have cooled completely. (See separate frosting recipe).